As the year 2009 runs to its finish, I can only reminisce on how great this year was for running. In my opinion, this year will definitely come down as running’s “banner year”. Running as a sport has really taken a bigger leap this year than the previous ones. As I type, here are some of the great things that happened to running in this year that is about to end:
1. Runner participation in races have greatly increased, at times not just double but even three or four folds the past numbers.
2. Races were better this year with a number of it making runners even go out of town. Oh yes, there were those races which may had raised some runners’ blood pressure but admittedly most of the races that were offered this year were far better and more exciting than it was, say a year or two ago.
3. There were more running clinics being offered to all kinds of runners this year – most of it were FREE. I think this encouraged more people to try and take up running since the clinics are there to teach and guide them along the way.
4. The opening of running specialty stores Second Wind and RUNNR. As the year comes to an end, both stores have already opened their second branch. Runners can almost forget online purchasing and/or asking friends/family abroad to purchase running gears for them. Both stores offers a wide variety of running gears/apparels of various brands.
5. As there was a running boom, there also was a running blog boom. A lot of runners has taken into sharing their running experiences to the community by starting a running blog. It both has its own set of advantage and disadvantages but then i just take it as “the more the merrier”. Interested readers have a lot of options to read from, which is good.
6. The famous running blog, The Bull Runner has taken a higher step by having a magazine of the same name. The free mini-mag is hands-down the best running resource that each and every runner can have, hold, read and keep. Hmmm and yup, re-read!
7. Running has invaded all sorts of media with Runner Speak (tv) and Run Radio (radio and web). Run Radio will just simply be closer to my heart since I am part of it. Watch out for a greater and better Season 2 on 2010 folks!
8. A lot of running groups were formed this year, some with very good advocacies. I am very glad and proud to be part of the iamninoy Runners Group which hopes to help better the education of less-fortunate kids in the country, in partnership/support to the 57/75 Movement.
9. Personally, my running circle of friends got bigger and mind you, the quality of friendships were mostly the kind that one would like to cherish and keep. Hey and before Christmas, most of us were able to meet for a pre-Christmas get-together. Click here to see runners doing anything but running.
Most of you may have a longer list than what I was able to come up with, feel free to add to it as you may by posting it as a comment on this post.
When most runners may have just taken their running break the past week, I on the other hand have taken mine a good one month earlier. And while most runners will excitedly look forward to coming back to running next week with their running plans already drawn-up, I will be looking forward to running in a whole new light – as simply an expectator and support to running friends. Why? Because I am about to effect a running-less year, a running semi-retirement of sorts (oh and a biking retirement too!). Hmmm… It sucks, isn’t it? Yes and no is my honest answer.
You see folks, in November, I learned that I was again blessed with a challenge of being a mom to child no. 4 (we already have a brood of three). I initially felt sad that the plans I have for running will all be cancelled because of this development (I always have a high-risk pregnancy making me unable to continue running even if other pregnant women who have been running actively can). But then again, I know that every child is a blessing and most of all, no matter how long I lay-off from the sport I love, I know very well that running will always take me back when the right time comes. But then again also, can I help it if I still feel inggit at times? Well, I surely will.
Still, do know that I will be on “semi-retirement” only since I will still maintain participation in RunRadio backroom tasks and make all-too pregnant appearances in races. I may still blog about running-related updates every now and then too. It’s just that I really am not allowed to run, *SIGH*.
2009 wil definitely be a memorable year in the journals of runners. My only wish is that all mistakes and lessons that came out of those will all be taken to heart by everyone in the running community and be one in striving to make the following year a bigger and brighter one for all of us.
Happy New Year and see you at the outdoors folks!