In the past, I have always just known the Bicol Region to be the province where the Mayon Volcano can be found. I have never even thought about CamSur (or more known as Camarines Sur at that time) ever. Heck, I just know Albay and Legaspi!
But then lately, when somebody mentions CamSur, it is almost always synonymous to the wakeboarding or the Ironman 70.3 race that was held last year and oh, several Survivor series. These have all been possible because of the emergence of CWC – the CamSur Water Sports Complex, the famous venue for all the events I have just mentioned earlier. Now, from that poor province of the Bicol Region, CamSur is now among the richest provinces in the Philippines.
I can’t help but feel in awe and proud of CamSur as I listen to Gov. Lray Villafuerte talk about it yesterday at the presscon/launch of the Summit Water CamSur Marathon at the Dusit Thani Hotel. As good friend Mariel and I have concluded, the governor did a very fine job with Camarines Sur. To which I can just exclaim – “Ang galing ni Gov!”. 😀
Gov. LRay Villafuerte
With all the good things being said about CamSur and CWC, wouldn’t you be interested to see and experience the transformation yourself ? I surely would! And the scheduled CamSur Marathon is just about the best chance to go there and do something that will surely make one’s trip and stay worth it.
The Summit Water Camsur Marathon is pegged to be the biggest Marathon in Southeast Asia. Let’s all Race to Rebuild the Nation!
Here then folks are the race details I was able to gather for this race that is touted to be the “Biggest Marathon to be held in Southeast Asia”.
CamSur Marathon 2010
SUMMIT WATER CAMSUR MARATHON 2010
“Race to Rebuild the Nation”
26 September, 2010
CamSur Water Sports Complex (CWC), CamSur
during the Q&A portion
1. TARGET NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 20,000 local and international participants
2. REGISTRATION/EVENT FEES:
3. REGISTRATION PERIOD:
a. Local Registration (for those residing in the Philippines)
– Regular Registration : March 1 to August 10, 2010 (race kits are available upon registration)
– Late Registration : August 11, 2010 to September 12, 2010
b. Online Registration (for both LOcal and International Registrants)
– March 1, 2010 to September 5, 2010
* International registrants refer to those who are residing outside the Philippines
* Registration may be closed earlier due to race kits availability
* Singlets will be given to all registered runners
* For online registrants, race kits will be delivered between September 19 to 24, 2010. Courier charges wil be applied on top of the race fees.
* Only international participants may claim their race kits at CWC from September 20 to 25, 2010
3. REGISTRATION CENTERS:
Interested participants can register at the following venues:
a. Timex Branches
– Mall of Asia
b. RUNNR Store at Bonifacio High Street
c. Republ1c Branches
– La Fuerza
*ONLINE Registration is also available at www.camsurmarathon.com
5. OTHER HIGHLIGHTS:
a. Gawad Kalinga “Bayanihan Run” Category
– Here, participating groups will race as a team of 15 and commit to pledge to raise funds to build GK communities for the poorest of the poor, with at least minimum of one house to building an entire Legacy Village for a period of three months from June 24 to September 24.
b. The D-Tag timing device
– In this race, RUNRIO will be making use of the disposable D-TAG timing device. The D-tag, just like the disposable timing chip that we came to know and like, is also attached to the shoe but is said to be less intrusive and far lighter. It makes use of the RFID technology and will be the same timing device to be used in the coming ING New York Marathon in November.
* Check back for more information about the D-Tag in future posts. 🙂
6. RACE BENEFICIARIES:
a. Main Beneficiary – Gawad Kalinga
– a nation-building organization founded by Tony Meloto that builds houses for poor communities and aims to empower poverty-stricken Filipinos through dignity restoration and values transformation.
Founder of Gawad Kalinga Tony Meloto
b. Organ Donor Card Awareness Drive
– Headed by Director Enrique Ona of the National Kidney Transplant Institution (NKTI), the Organ Donor Card has amassed numerous supporters including Dawn Zulueta
Dawn Zulueta, here with hosts Tricia Chiongbian and Marc Nelson as she talks about the Organ Donor Card Awareness Drive
Celebrities among them Dyan Castillejo, Tessa Prieto-Valdez nd Ernie Lopez show-off their Organ Donor Cards during the presscon
c. K.I.D.S Foundation
– as supported by Diether Ocampo, this foundation aims to uplift the standards of living of the youth.
For other race information or accomodation/travel details, check out the race’s official website by clicking HERE.
8. PRESS RELEASE:
presscon at the Dusit Thani Hotel
THE BIGGEST MARATHON IN SOUTHEAST ASIA TO BE HELD IN CAMSUR
With the much sought after CamSur Watersports Complex (CWC) and its world-class wakeboarding facilities as its centerpiece, it’s not at all surprising why the province of Camarines Sur or simply CamSur was voted as the number one tourist destination in the country in 2009.
Venue for some of the most prestigious international competitions such as the Ironman 70.3, World Wakeboard Championships, Asian Wakeboard Championships, and the International Dragon Boat Festival, CamSur’s equally famous Caramoan Islands have also become home to several franchises (France, Bulgaria, Serbia, Israel, Turkey and Sweden) of the long-running show, Survivor.
This September, CamSur is once again the site of another world-class sporting event – the first-ever CamSur Marathon 2010 “Race to Rebuild the Nation”. “As part of our continued efforts to pursue nation-building, the CamSur Marathon 2010 aims to be the premiere running event in the country to gather 20,000 participants,” declares Governor Villafuerte. “The Camsur Marathon will feature elite runners from all over the world amidst the setting of mountains and greeneries.” Designed to be included among the ranks of the New York, Vienna and Boston marathons, the local government of Governor LRay Villafuerte is vying for the international accreditation of CamSur Marathon 2010.
With 3K, 5K, 10K, 21K and 42K runs, the marathon is intended to mainly benefit Gawad Kalinga, a nation-building organization founded by Tony Meloto that builds houses for poor communities and aims to empower poverty-stricken Filipinos through dignity restoration and values transformation. This marathon is also for the benefit of the Organ Donor Card awareness drive. Headed by Director Enrique Ona of the National Kidney Transplant Institution (NKTI), the Organ Donor Card has amassed numerous supporters including Aga and Charlene Muhlach, Dawn Zulueta, Mikee Conjuangco, Martin Nievera, Derek Ramsey, Angelica Panganiban, Karylle, Iza Calzado, Carla Abellana, Gerald Anderson and many more. Another beneficiary is the K.I.D.S Foundation as supported by Diether Ocampo which aims to uplift the standards of living of the youth. Villafuerte says, “The vision of these organizations serve as inspiration for the Camsur Marathon.”
Race Director Coach Rio dela Cruz shares, “After close to a year of preparation, our dream of organizing a bona- fide international marathon here in the Philippines has finally materialized. This historic running event aims to attract local and foreign athletic delegates, running celebrities, and runners of all fitness levels. The Camsur Marathon is sure to be race worthy and of international stature.”
One of the highlights of the CamSur Marathon 2010 is the Gawad Kalinga “Bayanihan Run” category. Here, participating groups will race as a team of 15 and commit to pledge to raise funds to build GK communities for the poorest of the poor, with at least minimum of one house to building an entire Legacy Village for a period of three months from June 24 to September 24.
The CamSur Marathon 2010 is also presented by the Department of Tourism with Summit Water and Smart Communications as major sponsors. Other sponsors are Timex, 100 Plus, Nature Valley and the Philippine Star.
The dynamic young governor promises a wonderful time at CamSur for all local and international participants of the CamSur Marathon 2010. “Our world-class sports amenities and accommodations will entice you to stay a little longer,” Governor Villafuerte confidently assures. “Our secret hideaways await your discovery and we are certain that you will want to explore the nooks and crannies of fascinating Camsur.”
Join and express your desire to rebuild the nation with Camsur. Visit www.camsurmarathon.com for more details.
Filed under: Event, Race, running | Tagged: camsur marathon, camsur marathon 2010, camsur marathon runrio, camsur race, coach rio dela cruz, cwc marathon, gov lray villafuerte, ironman 70.3 camsur, runrio camsur marathon, summit water camsur marathon | 4 Comments »